Today is the official nation wide launch of Mobile Number Portability in Malaysia. Open up Star newspaper and you will see full page advertisement from Maxis, Celcom and U Mobile on MNP. Prior to this, many people are talking about this and some are eagerly awaiting for this day to come.
What is Mobile Number Portability?
Simply put, it means that your front 3 digit DO NOT represent your telco anymore. Even if you are using 012-XXXXXXX, you might be subscribe to Celcom or Digi network. Consumers are free to choose any Telco they like while keeping the original numbers.
Who is entitled for MNP?
Any customers of any mobile service provider who is governed by MNP regulations are entitled to apply for MNP. Postpaid or prepaid consumers and also corporate or company registration are also entitled to MNP.
What are the criteria to port over?
- Ensure that the prepaid number is registered under your name.
- The prepaid number is still active (meaning you still can receive calls)
- All unused credit will be forfeited when the MNP request is successful
- No outstanding/due payment in your account
- No outstanding contract/tie in obligations
- All supplementary line/numbers need to be ported over together
- All value added service subscription under the SAME account must be migrated together/terminated.
- If a supplementary line does not migrate, he/she will need to detach itself from principal line and register as new independent account.
Will there be interruption in the MNP process and how long does it take?
MNP process usually takes about 5 to 8 working days and there is no service interruption in between. Customer can continue using the previous telco until the point where the new telco takes over.
How much does it cost to port over?
The maximum fees chargeable by any telco is RM25. However, looking at the current situation, most of the telco will be waiving the fee to encourage customers to port over to their respective service.
U Mobile is currently giving away RM10 credit for every successful prepaid or postpaid subscription. U mobile is also giving away 018 prepaid starter pack for every rejected MNP cases with RM10 air time!
What are the porting process?
Step 1: Visit any MNP centres
Step 2: Fill up the registration forms & photocopy your IC/Passport/army/police ID/ Business registration
Step 3: Pay for any porting fees (FREE for U Mobile)
Step 4: Collect the SIM Card
Step 5: Continue using your old network until you receive a SMS notification
How often can I do a MNP transfer?
As many times as you wish to, but you cannot do multiple MNP request within the same time to different operators
What number pre-fix cannot be ported?
The following cannot be ported:
- Fixed Telekom landlines such as 03, 04, 06 etc.
- Fixed free toll number such as 1 800, 1300 etc.
- Foreign country numbers.
Can I port from Prepaid to Postpaid?
Yes, you can choose to port from postpaid to prepaid and vice versa.
Will I be receiving 2 set of phone bills?
In the first month after your successful MNP request, you may be receiving two bills:
- First usage bill to the mobile service operator you ported to
- Final bill from your previous mobile service operator, on usages that were incurred but not charged
Will the Value Added Service (VAS) be ported together?
No, MNP only ports out the number, not services. VAS from previous service provider will not be transferred and you have to subscribe for the VAS again from the new network operator. Some of the common VAS are as below.
- Internet Data services
- Push E-mail Services
- Email assigned to the previous number
- Friends and Family Plan
- Caller Ring tone
- Enhanced SIM Services
- Fax Number
Can I port my free airtime usage from my previous network operator?
Nope, all free airtime, voicemail messages, etc will be lost.
How can I identify whether the number I am calling is on the same network?
You will not be able to identify if your call is on-net or off-net.
I have a company cell phone, can I port my number?
Yes, you can with the following:
- A copy of consent from the Human resource department to use the account for the personal use
- Complete the initial MNP request conditions with successful confirmation
- Upon successful confirmation, choose either the prepaid or postpaid account that appeals to him/her and follow the abovementioned procedures
For more information on MNP, please call the respective network operator.
U Mobile – +6018 388 1318
Maxis – 1800 82 1123
Celcom – 1300 111 000
Digi – +6016 221 1800
Subscribe to Fresh Gear Weblog by Email