Review: CSL SPICE Mi700 Google Android Powered TabletSeptember 23, 2010
Available Date: 21st September 2010
Launch Price: RM1,599
Fresh Gear rating: 9/10
CSL Mi700 Google Android powered Tablet was launched in early September 2010 by the CSL group of companies.
- Android OS, v2.2 (Froyo)
- GSM Quadband/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/HSDPA
- 480 x 800 pixels, 7 inches (Capacitive Touch Screen)
- 179.4 x110 x11.5mm
- Qualcomm MSM7227, 600 MHz
- 512MB RAM / 512MB ROM
- Accelerometer sensor for auto-rotate and Motion UI
- E-Compass + Ambient Light Sensor
- 3 MP, autofocus, 0.3MP 2048 x 1536 (Secondary VGA camera)
- Bluetooth, Wifi, GPS
- Standard battery, Li-Pol 3,240 mAh
- Standby: Up to 520h
- Talk time: Up to 6h
Unboxing the CSL Spice Mi700
Packaging of the CSL Mi700 is huge compared to other HTC packaging. Taking up valuable retail space in the outlet🙂
CSL SPICE Mi700 comes with the following accessories in the box.
- A slim bi-fold synthetic leather holder with pocket
- Screen Protector
- CD, Quick Start Guide and Manuals
- Travel Charger
- Car Charger adapter
- USB Sync cable
- Mapking Registration Card
The device looks big but the weight is surprisingly light. However, the supplied casing is rather heavy. The build quality is quite good with minimal moving parts except for the memory + simcard cover.
Four controls are located at the right side of the tablet. Back, Search, Home & Menu.
Located on the top is the UP/DOWN volume button, SIM Card + Memory card slot.
Located at the bottom is the Reset button, Mic, Headset and charger/sync slot.
Also located on the both side are the speakers. A power button is located on the left side speaker. You might also noticed a “Black” round hole just above the speaker. This I believe is for other accessories maker to make a plastic cover that uses the hole as a hinge.
Located on the top left corner is a front facing camera for 3G video calls and a ambient light sensor.
Size is just perfect! It is not as big as an iPad and is more like a normal diary.
The front casing can be flip backwards and make as a stand for the tablet.
Using the CSL SPICE Mi700
As a user of HTC Legend, switching over to the CSL SPICE Mi700 is easy. Only difference is that HTC Sense is smoother and have nicer UI. Some of the software not found standard on my HTC Legend are.
- Comes with a license for Mapking for your all GPS needs.
2. CSL Blueberry Messenger
- A collection of all the different IM. E.g. MSN, GTalk, Yahoo Chat…
3. CSL Blueberry Store
- Re-directs to http://m.b-qq.com/my/index.php
4. CSL Azan Alarm
- Islam prayer time with built-in compass
5. CSL Fun Club
- Some SMS services like News, My E.G Services, Currency, Sports results..
- Ebook Reader
7. Documents to Go
- Words, Powerpoint and Excel for Android.
- A telephony service offered by SPICE. Check out this website for more info. http://www.s-unno.com/
- A mobile security service by Macafee. Read more about it here. https://www.wavesecure.com/wavesecure/android.aspx
Comparing with an Apple iPad
Naturally, people will want to compare this with an Apple iPad. So, what are the differences?
|1||7-inch screen (800 X 480)||9.7-inch screen (1024 X 768)|
|2||Able to make calls||Not able to make calls|
|3||Comes bundled with a case||No casing bundled|
|4||Uses normal SIM card||Uses Micro SIM|
|5||Expandable Memory||Fixed memory, 16GB, 32GB & 64GB|
|6||3G Video camera||No front facing camera|
|8||6 hours battery life||9 hours battery life with 3G|
|9||179.4mm x 110mm x 11.5mm||242.8mm x 189.7 mm x 13.4 mm|
|11||Priced RM1,599||Price starting from RM1700 to RM2,900|
Sample Photos taken using the CSL SPICE Mi700 (Click to Enlarge)
- Good Size and solid built
- Good battery life! (Thanks to the huge battery size)
- Built in many useful software; Mapking, Document to Go, Prayer time.
- 3G camera, uses latest Froyo Android OS!
- Abit on the heavy side with the casing
- Back camera 3.0MP not good enough
- Speaker “breaks” when turned on too loud
- Built-in battery
- Not all Android apps are made for 800 X 480 screen size